Saturday, July 14, 2012

Vinyl Hair Bows


I can't wait to get started!
Here is a throw-back craft from my childhood.  In elementary school I had some friends that came to school with the CUTEST little bows in their hair.  Their moms had made them, and lucky for me and all of you, they told me how to make them.  They are made with curling irons/straighteners and vinyl from bags that comforters, blankets, etc. come in.  Vinyl is also sold on rolls at fabric stores, so you could just buy some or use scraps left from a different project.  I love the thought of turning trash to treasure, as it were, so I always just use what I have around.  In addition to the vinyl and straightener, you will need scissors, a thin gauged wire, a button or large bead for the middle of the bow, small things to put in the bow, and a hair clip.  The fillings for the bows are endless.  You can make them to match specific outfits or seasons, or go for multicolored bows.  So far I have used glitter, sequins, seed beads, assorted plastic beads, pony beads, colored salt, confetti, and colored rice in the bows that I have made.  As soon as I buy some, I am going to try out cake sprinkles in the bows.  I think the sprinkles would be super cute!  Now let's get crafting...



Cute two pieces of vinyl into rectangles of the same size.  You can choose whatever size you want to make your bows.  Around three inches by 1 1/2 inches makes a cute little bow.  I never measure mine.  I just eyeball it.  I'm not one to take time to be exact, and this craft doesn't require exactness (thank goodness!).  Put your two pieces of vinyl together, and use a curling iron or straightener to seal three of the four edges, leaving one edge open for filling.  Be fast when you seal!  If you hesitate at all, you will burn a hole through the vinyl.  Just do a quick pinch and release.  If your edge doesn't look sealed enough, pinch it quickly with the straightener again.  You can also press the edge while it is still warm to further help the seal.  If you do melt a hole all the way through, no worries, just cut more vinyl.  It is easier than trying to make a patch (which I did try, and found was not worth the effort).



See how I cleverly model the sealed edges with my scissors inside...
Add whatever you want to fill your bow with.  Leave a little space at the top so you can adequately seal the bow, and so there will be enough space to pinch your rectangle into a bow.  Quickly and carefully seal the open edge.  You can trim your edges a bit if you feel the sealed portions are too wide for your bow.

Pinch the edges of the bow together in the center along the two long sides to form a bow.  Thread a piece of wire through your large button/bead, and twist in the back like a bread tie.  Trim off the excess wire, then slide a hair clip between the wire and vinyl. 


There you have it! Your very own (and very cool 80's fashion) vinyl hair bow.  My girls love wearing their bows, and it makes even a simple ponytail look fancy.

No comments:

Post a Comment