Tuesday, August 3, 2010

My poem from last semester

I wrote this poem last semester. I thought I'd post it....

Wedding Ring

On my left hand is a golden ring,
A circular symbol of eternal love,
Scratched from years of wear
Silently declaring to the world
I am taken.

I've worn my ring for so long
That it has created an indent,
A silhouette on my finger--
Like the marks left in carpet
By heavy furniture.

Its diamonds refract light
Into tiny sparkles and rainbows,
Light I carry wherever I go.
People say diamonds are a girl's best friend;
My best friend gave me the diamonds.

I noticed the weight of the ring
As it was lovingly placed on my finger
By a warm heart and nervous hand.
Now I notice its absence when I take it off,
Like a piece of me is missing.

I rarely remove the band,
Only to make bread;
The dough pulls our grime left from
Diapers, dishes, daily duties.
Maybe I should clean it more often.

I like the bits of grime and scratches.
They are tokens of the journey,
Memories etched in soft metal--
From our June wedding day
To purchasing a minivan

College, Coca-Cola, kids
Star Trek and McDonalds,
The birth of each daughter,
Date night every Friday,
Sunny days and stormy weather--

Holding hands through it all...
The greatest adventure of my life.

No comments:

Post a Comment